Organics — Essential for Soils!
Most soil professionals understand that organic matter is the “Heart of Soil Fertility”; it is the indispensable part of the soil with so many important properties that entire volumes have been written on the subject. Take a look at some of the benefits that organic matter adds to soils:
• It helps create the basic fabric of good soil which is critical for the movement of air and water through the soil mass, enabling roots to grow well.
• It provides food for microorganisms, earthworms, and a host of other creatures whose business it is to create this structure.
• It provides a storehouse of plant nutrients that microbes release to plants during the breakdown process.
• It comprises the most concentrated portion of the soil’s exchange capacity, that ability to hold and exchange with roots essential nutrient cations, and prevent their leaching.
• It helps insulate the soil from temperature extremes.
• It aids in the production of not only high yields, but also high quality, nutritious crops.